SWDC Puppy Buyers Guide
- Visit breeders at home to see the dogs in their home environment.
- Ask to see all relevant health test documents for both parents of the puppies – (currently- Hipscore, prcdPRA-DNA, Glaucoma, Annual Eye Test).
- Prepare a list of questions to ask the breeders you visit.
- Will the puppy be Kennel Club registered?
- Ask to see a copy of the puppy contract before purchase.
- Always see Mum with her puppies.
- If you wish to see Dad, ask if this would be possible.
- Ask what the contents of your puppy pack will contain…ideally this should include:
- A diet sheet,
- Details/advice on worming and flea treatment.
- Any vaccinations given.
- Microchip details,
- KC Registration Document,
- Copies of health test results of both parents,
- Puppy contract,
- Advice for puppy owners document,
- Puppy’s pedigree.
- A small bag of food that the puppy is currently being fed.
- Any endorsements on the puppy’s Kennel Club Registration document should be fully explained to you.
- Ask what food the puppies will/are being fed and why.
- Where will the puppies be raised?
- What, if any, socialisation will be done with the puppies before they leave for their new homes?
- Will Mum have access to the puppies right up until they leave for their new homes?
- Do Mum and her puppies appear to be in good health? Will the puppies be vet checked before they leave the breeder?
- Suggest they may like to purchase “The Spanish Water Dog Book” by Wanda Sooby & Di Williamson.
- Will the breeder be available as a point of contact to offer advice and support throughout dog’s life?
- Be prepared to answer questions regarding how the puppy will be cared for.
Download: SWDC Puppy Buyers Guide
Please note that these documents are in adobe PDF format and that you will need to have Acrobat Reader installed on your computer.