Rules & Regulations
The Club shall be called The Spanish Water Dog Club hereinafter referred to as “the Club”.
2. AIMS & OBJECTIVES
The object of the Club shall be to encourage responsible ownership and breeding of the Spanish Water Dog and to maintain it’s true characteristics and working ability.
3. OFFICERS & COMMITTEE
The Club shall consist of:
- A) A Patron who shall be an Honorary Life member
- B) A President who, having been elected by postal ballot of fully paid up members, shall be entitled to attend meetings in a non-voting capacity and shall retain the position at his/her pleasure.
- C) Vice-Presidents, to a maximum of four at any one time. The Committee shall have power to recommend the appointment of Vice-Presidents for a renewable period of three years to be approved by the membership at the AGM. B. Vice presidents are not entitled to a vote at meetings, as they are not included in the ex-officio members of the Committee owing to the practice of electing complementary Vice Presidents.
- D) A Chairman who shall be elected for a term of three years by postal ballot of fully paid up members.
- E) An Honorary Secretary who shall be elected for a term of three years by postal ballot of fully paid up members.
- F) An Honorary Treasurer who shall be elected for a term of three years by postal ballot of fully paid up members.
- G) A committee of nine excluding officers to be elected for a term of three years by postal ballot of fully paid up members. One third of the committee shall retire annually in rotation and be eligible for re-election
- H) All postal ballot papers to be numbered and returned to an independent scrutineer for counting.
- I) No two members of the same family or partnership shall hold office or be members of the committee at the same time.
The Club shall have an unlimited number of members.
A complete list of members and their addresses will be maintained by a membership secretary and shall be available for inspection by a member of the Kennel Club upon request. This list of member’s names will be published annually in the Spring Newsplash with updates listing new members being included in subsequent editions. Any member not wishing their details to be published should inform the Membership Secretary that they require their details to be kept confidential.
4. Management of the Club
The Management of the Club shall be in the hands of the Officers and the Committee. The elected Committee shall each year immediately following the AGM appoint a Vice-Chairman who shall oversee and facilitate the activities of the Committee in the absence of the Chairman.
Meetings of the Committee shall be held as often as deemed necessary; however there shall be at least two per annum.
Six shall form a quorum for the transaction of business; this must include at least two Officers.
In the event of a Committee member failing to attend two consecutive meetings except with a valid reason, the Committee shall have the power to exclude him/her and replace with a co-opted member.
The committee shall have the power to co-opt members onto the Committee in the event of positions becoming vacant between Annual General Meetings and those co-opted members shall have full voting rights and hold office until the next Annual General Meeting.
5. Election of members
Candidates for membership of the club shall be elected by a two thirds majority of the committee present and voting. The membership secretary shall maintain a register of all current paid up members and their addresses, which shall be available for inspection by the Kennel Club.
6. Voting rights
Immediately upon acceptance of membership:
- Each single subscription member shall be entitled to one vote;
- Joint members shall have one vote for each member of the partnership.
Junior members (6-16 years) are not entitled to vote.
7. Expulsion of members
Any member who shall be disqualified under the kennel Club rule A11j(5) and/or Kennel Club rule A11j(9) shall ipso facto cease to be a member of the club for the duration of the suspension and/or disqualification. If the conduct of any member shall, in the opinion of the committee of the Club, be injurious or likely to be injurious to the character or interests of the Club, the committee of the Club may, at a meeting, the notice convening which includes as an object the consideration of the conduct of the member determine that a Special General Meeting of the Club shall be called for the purpose of passing a resolution to expel him/her.
Notice of the Special General Meeting shall be sent to the accused member, giving details of the complaint and advising the place, time and hour of the meeting in order that he/she may attend and offer an explanation. If at that meeting a resolution to expel is passed by a two-thirds majority of the members present and voting, his/her name shall forthwith be erased from the list of members and he/she shall thereupon cease for all purposes to be a member of the Club, except that he/she may within two calendar months from the date of such meeting appeal to the Kennel Club upon and subject to such conditions as the Kennel Club may impose.
If any member is expelled for discreditable conduct in connection with dogs, dog shows, trials or competitions, the matter will be reported in writing to the Kennel Club within seven days and supply particulars if required.
8. ANNUAL subscriptions
The Annual Subscription shall be such amount as deemed necessary by the Committee and agreed by members in a General meeting and notified to the Kennel Club.
The Annual subscriptions shall be payable to the Hon Treasurer on 1st January each year.
If any member shall fail to pay outstanding subscriptions by the last day of January, his/her subscriptions by the last day of January his/her name will automatically be erased from the register- acceptance back on the register will be dependent upon a new application.
Any member withdrawing from the club shall give notice of his/her intention in writing to the secretary, but any member leaving the club shall not be entitled to receive back any money he/she may have paid to the club, and such resigning member shall be liable to the club for the whole annual subscription
9. Club property
The property of the Club shall be vested in the Trustees in the event of the Club ceasing to exist, a General Meeting shall be called to decide the disposal of the assets and the outcome notified to the Kennel Club. In the event of this not being possible the Committee shall be empowered to deal with the matter at their discretion and the outcome shall be notified to the Kennel Club. In either case any assets realised will be used in the interests of the breed at the Committee’s discretion.
10. Financial year
The financial year of the Club shall be from 1st January to 31st December each year.
11. Club accounts
A banking account shall be held in the name of the Club into which all revenue of the club shall be paid and from which withdrawals shall only be made on the signatures of any two from the offices of Chairman, Honorary Secretary and Honorary Treasurer.
The accounts shall be kept by the Hon. Treasurer and auditors shall be appointed at each Annual General Meeting who shall audit the Club accounts for the ensuing year before the AGM. The Hon. Treasurer will in turn produce a report in whatever format as specified by the committee for each committee meeting. The auditor shall be either one fully qualified auditor or two unqualified auditors. The audited statement of accounts shall be available for inspection by members at the Annual General Meeting and copies shall be available on request by any member at any time subsequently. Those certifying the accounts must be independent of the committee. The certified accounts will be made available on request to members fourteen days prior to the AGM.
12. annual general meeting
The Annual General Meeting shall be held before 31st March for the following purposes:
- To receive the report of the Committee and Balance Sheet,
- To elect Officers and Committee; nominations for whom shall be in writing and received by the Honorary Secretary not less than six weeks prior to the AGM; all nominations shall be proposed by one fully paid up member and seconded by another fully paid up member. Nominations must be fully paid up members of at least one years standing.
- To discuss any resolutions duly placed on the agenda of which prior notice has been given to the Honorary Secretary not less than six weeks prior to the AGM.
- No business shall be transacted at an AGM unless notice thereof appears on the agenda, with the exception of routine matters or those which in the opinion of the Chairman of the meeting are urgent.
- Eight weeks notice of the AGM shall be circulated in writing to all members. Not less than fourteen days prior to the AGM the agenda shall be circulated in writing to all members.
- The Hon. Secretary shall enter the minutes of the AGM in the minute book.
13. Amendments to rules
The Rules and Regulations of the Club may not be altered except at an AGM, the agenda for which contains specific proposals to amend the Rules. Amendments shall not be brought into force until the Kennel Club has been advised and given approval.
New rules or amendments introduced specifically to meet Kennel Club requirements shall be adopted immediately.
14. Special general meetings
A Special General Meeting shall be summoned by the Hon. Secretary if twenty members send a signed requisition stating the subject to be discussed and requesting a Special General Meeting to do so. The Committee of the club is also empowered to call a Special General Meeting.
No less than fourteen days notice of a Special General Meeting shall be given to members.
No business other than that detailed on the agenda can be discussed at a SGM.
The Hon. Secretary shall enter the minutes of the AGM in the minute book.
15. Annual returns
The Officers acknowledge that during the month of January each year Maintenance of Title fee will be forwarded to the Kennel Club by the Hon. Secretary for continuance of registration and by 31st July each year the other returns, as stipulated in the Kennel Club Regulations for the Registration and Maintenance of Title of Societies be forwarded to the Kennel Club. The Officers also acknowledge their duty to inform the Kennel Club of any changes of Secretary of the club which may occur during the course of the year.
16. Final AUTHORITY
The Kennel Club shall be the final court of appeal in all matters of dispute.
The Club shall not join any federation of societies or clubs.
No person whilst an undischarged bankrupt may serve on the Committee of or hold any other office or appointment within a Kennel Club registered society.
17. CODE OF ETHICS
Membership will become conditional upon compliance with the club’s Code of Ethics.
18. BREED SOCIETIES JUDGES LIST
The Club holds and maintains a current Judges’ List.
- The Hon Secretary to be given an Honorarium of £100 per annum
- The Hon Treasurer to be given an Honorarium of £100 per annum.
20. Shows and showing
Officers and members of the Committee may enter dogs owned by themselves at any event or show organised by the Club.
a) The Committee may from time to time appoint such Sub-Committees as it may consider necessary or expedient to assist in the conduct of the business of the Club, and report regularly to the Club Committee.
b) The Committee may delegate any of its functions and powers to any Sub-Committee and may at any time amend or revoke such delegation.
c) All Sub-Committees shall conduct their business in accordance with the directions of the Committee, shall report their proceedings from time to time and shall submit minutes of all meetings to the Club Honorary Secretary.
d) The members of each Sub-Committee shall be appointed by the Committee. If a vacancy occurs a replacement may be nominated or elected in accordance with the constitution of the respective Sub-Committee subject to the approval of the Committee.
e) Any Sub-Committee that has financial control must conduct its financial year from 1st January to 31st December and submit its accounts to the Club Honorary Treasurer for inclusion with the Club Annual Accounts.
f) The Chairman of the Club shall be an ex-officio member of all Sub-Committees and shall be informed of all meeting dates.
g) All Sub-Committees shall elect a Chairman, who shall be a member of the Club, from within its number, for the ensuing year, at the first meeting held following the Club’s AGM each year. Should any member resign for any reason the Sub-Committee shall have the power to co-opt another member. The Sub-Committee will meet as often as deemed necessary but at least once a year.
Constitution and Rules of the Spanish Water Dog Club Sub-Committees
In accordance with Rule 21 the Sub-Committees listed in succeeding paragraphs are appointed to advise and make recommendations to the Committee with regard to such matters as the Committee may refer or if so authorised by the Committee are appointed to act for the Committee to decide upon such matters.
- SWD Club Judges Sub-Committee (JSC)
- The Sub-Committee shall consist of at least 75% CC approved judges (“CC givers”) and up to 25% others.
- The Sub-Committee shall elect a Chairman, who shall be a member of the Club, from within its number, for the ensuing year, at the first meeting held following the Club’s AGM each year. Should any member resign for any reason the Sub-Committee shall have the power to co-opt another member. The Sub-Committee will meet as often as deemed necessary but at least once a year.
- The Sub-Committee will produce criteria for judges which will be fair and equitable to all. Numbers of classes and/or dogs required for each list may be adjusted from time to time by the Sub-Committee as show entries rise or fall.
- The Sub-Committee will provide opinion to the Kennel Club on all first time Championship Show judges.
- The Sub-Committee shall produce a Judges List which will run from 1st January to 31st December each year. The list must be sent to all General and Group Shows which schedule the breed and to those Open Shows which are likely to do so.
- Persons applying for or updating their CVs for inclusion on the Judges List must provide copies of all relevant certificates.
- The Judges List will also be available on the Club’s website for anyone to download.
Please note that these documents are in adobe PDF format and that you will need to have Acrobat Reader installed on your computer.